Re: Some things to be aware of for docs

From: Esteban Enrique
Subject: Re: Some things to be aware of for docs
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 21:06:35 -0500

Yes, and unfortunately it is far from concrete and simple at this point. It basically says 'the drive should be partitioned.' I think adding a quick step like you say should be sufficient without going into too much detail. It just a suggestion, or an example config.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM, myglc2 <address@hidden> wrote:
Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 02:33:47PM -0500, Esteban Enrique wrote:
[...]
>>  First, formatting the drive. I have some experience with Arch Linux, so I
>> had a general sense  of how to use fdisk. However, for the vast majority of
>> those who don't know about this, there could be a link or a self-contained
>> explanation that goes through the process of formatting the disk.
[...]
> On the other hand, in the meantime, *our* potential users are struggling
> to get started.
[...]
> What do people think?

A user should be able to try GuixSD without knowing anything about
partitioning.  So, there should concrete and simple instructions (e.g. 1
DOS partition no swap) guaranteed to work on an actual hard drive.