Re: environments

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: environments
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 09:59:55 +0200

Catonano <address@hidden> skribis:

> Now, this project has a gem file downloading tons of components that the
> project depends on.
>
> Is it possible to type
>
> guix environment ruby
>
> then inside such an environment run bundler (or how it is called) and have
> it do its thing ?

Sure, but rather:

  guix environment --ad-hoc ruby

to create an environment containing Ruby.

> It will download to the local project folder not trying to affect anything
> outside the project, right ?

I’ve never used Bundler, but I think that’s what it does.

So this is all possible, like on any other GNU/Linux system.  The
downside, of course, is that Bundler is not integrated with Guix and
does not provide the same reproducibility guarantees and same level of
control over environments.

The ideal way would be to provide Guix packages for the Gems you need,
using ‘guix import’, and then use that to manage your development
environments.

Ludo’.