Re: GUIX_LOCPATH problems with guix on gentoo

From: ng0
Subject: Re: GUIX_LOCPATH problems with guix on gentoo
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 18:30:52 +0000

On 2016-06-18(11:17:49+0200), Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 2016-06-18(09:45:12+0200), Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I found it very hard to read this email, because there are so many
> >> non-essential things pasted in the body :-/
> >
> > I wasn't sure what's useful information and what's not.
> >
> >> I hope I didn't miss anything important while I paged through your
> >> email, but one thing stood out to:

> >> That's not okay.  You cannot mix Python from your system with Python
> >> from Guix.  Do you have system stuff on your PYTHONPATH?  Do you have
> >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH set?  Guix packages should never use system libraries.
> >>
> >> ~~ Ricardo
> >
> > In the beginning this was an experiment, to see if Guix
> > would run unaffected on a gentoo-hardened kernel.
> > I am switching back to a desktop/amd64 profile, will check if
> > things changed.
>
> The problem above is unrelated to the kernel.  For some reason libraries
> from /usr/lib are used.  If this really is a Guix package then that’s
> wrong.

The profile isn't just the kernel, and in the case of gentoo-hardened
for me gentoo-hardened described an GrSec profile "desktop" (included
in the specific kernel the hardened team maintains) and its runtime
settings, functionalities and boundaries, also the hardened gcc which
applies what's described on the project page.

It might be that the fault is somewhere else, but the only time I ran
guix on top of another system was on a debian server after the initial
system setup.

I did some further tests this morning, when I removed $PATH from my
.zpath, guix disappeared (naturally) and it did not solve the problem
with for example weechat, which resolved a bit more with PYTHONPATH
in .zpath after python (3, and also tested with 2) was installed
(content:
XSESSION="awesome"

export
PATH=$PATH:~/src/n0.is/scripts:~/src/i3lock-fancy:/home/ng0/.guix-profile/bin:/home/ng0/.guix-profile/sbin
#export
PATH=~/src/n0.is/scripts:~/src/i3lock-fancy:/home/ng0/.guix-profile/bin:/home/ng0/.guix-profile/sbin
export TERMINFO_DIRS="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/share/terminfo"
export INFOPATH="$INFOPATH:/home/ng0/.guix-profile/share/info"
export ZATHURA_PLUGIN_PATH="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/lib/zathura"
#export GUIX_LOCPATH="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
export GUIX_LOCPATH=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale
#export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/ng0/src/n0.is/my-guix/"
export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/ng0/src/n0.is/youbroketheinternet-guix/"
export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0/"
export C_INCLUDE_PATH="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/include"
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/include"
export LIBRARY_PATH="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/lib"
export PYTHONPATH="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/lib/python3.4/site-packages"
export PERL5LIB="/home/ng0/.guix-profile/lib/perl5/site_perl")

> > Checking right now, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PYTHONPATH are not set,
> > but LIBRARY_PATH is.
>
> LIBRARY_PATH is harmless and only used at compile time.
>
> ~~ Ricardo

If it's of any use, I can also show you how the files are structured post-setup
in gentoo, but I think this really shouldn't affect runtime functionality as
the base guix just works. It's just the locale and certain keys on the keyboard
which are problematic.

--
♥Ⓐ ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on