Re: guix-edit shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: guix-edit shows "Autodoc not available..." w/ 2 REPLs
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 20:54:44 +0300

myglc2 (2016-07-16 18:07 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> myglc2 (2016-07-14 03:12 +0300) wrote:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> I mean add an explanation along the lines of what your wrote above to
>>> the documentation.  Maybe in a background or how it works section.
>>
>> OK, maybe someday :-)
>
> Would it be helpful if I submit a patch plagiarizing your explanation?

Sure, if you think the documentation is lacking, go for it!  The patches
are always welcome.

>> [...]
>>>
>>> I don't understand why this would be malicious. Could you explain?
>>
>> When I open ".py" file, the Python REPL is not started automatically,
>
> True, but doesn't a savvy python hacker typically set up their emacs
> configuration to start python REPLs automatically? I know this is what I
> did when I needed to do a bit of python hacking recently.

I can speak only for myself: I would never do this thing.  Starting a
REPL automatically after a file open is such a strange thing for me,
that I didn't even think before that someone would want it.

>> when I open ".scm" file, the Geiser REPL should not be started
>> automatically, etc.  This is normal!  If you want to have such kind of
>> interactive programming, you need to start the REPL yourself.
>
> I don't care what is "normal." I just want guix to start the REPL.  Is
> there any reason other than this not being "normal"?

Ha, the same for me!  I also don't care what is normal, and I always
change default behaviour to what I like.  The reason is: I don't want to
start a REPL automatically.  And I really think you are in minority with
your wish.

I'm very sorry for not responding to the rest (you write a lot! :-)).
The bottom line: I don't like when a REPL is started automatically after
a file open, and I think (it's just my impression) that most people
don't like it as well.

Moreover, even if you vision of default behaviour is right, I think you
should "attack" (in a good sense) Geiser to change the default value of
'geiser-mode-start-repl-p' variable that you discovered.

--
Alex