Re: Documentation

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 18:45:37 +0200

Thanks for the answers, still no joy for me...

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
>> when & how is the documentation here :
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html
>> updated ?
>
> I'm not sure, but I think it's updated whenever we make a new release.
>
>> Then I searched how to build the doc, and found in README:
>>
>> See the manual for the installation instructions, either by running
>>
>>   info -f doc/guix.info "(guix) Installation"
>>
>> but...
>>
>> info: doc/guix.info: No such file or directory
>
> On GuixSD, `info guix` should work. On other systems...

That works, but I cannot find what I'm searching for: libressl, that
I can see with (in a current git checkout) :

$ git grep libressl
[...]
doc/guix.texi:(define libressl-instead-of-openssl
doc/guix.texi:  (package-input-rewriting `((,openssl . ,libressl))))
doc/guix.texi:(define git-with-libressl
doc/guix.texi:  (libressl-instead-of-openssl git))
doc/guix.texi:with @var{libressl}.  Then we use it to define a
@dfn{variant} of the
doc/guix.texi:@var{git} package that uses @var{libressl} instead of
@var{openssl}.

What am I missing ?
Or maybe I'm very bad at info, always found its interface weird...

>> So how do I make that doc so that I can read the "installation
>> instructions" which will tell me how to make the doc...
>
> ... from a checkout of our Git repo, you can do:
>
> `guix environment guix -- make doc/guix.info`

I don't have guix installed on this system, see below:

> Similarly, you can do `make doc/guix.html`.

$ make doc/guix.html
make: *** No rule to make target `doc/guix.html'.  Stop.

The configure script is not working here (ubuntu 14.04) bare git
checkout, see below...

> If the Git checkout is new, you will need to run the ./configure script
> first. And if so, you almost always want to do it like this:
>
> `./configure --localstatedir=/var`.

$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.

nothing to commit, working directory clean
$ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in
build-aux "."/build-aux

--
Vincent Legoll