Re: Documentation

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:09:41 -0400

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 06:45:37PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> > On GuixSD, `info guix` should work. On other systems...
>
> That works, but I cannot find what I'm searching for: libressl, that
> I can see with (in a current git checkout) :
>
> $ git grep libressl
> [...]
> doc/guix.texi:(define libressl-instead-of-openssl
> doc/guix.texi:  (package-input-rewriting `((,openssl . ,libressl))))
> doc/guix.texi:(define git-with-libressl
> doc/guix.texi:  (libressl-instead-of-openssl git))
> doc/guix.texi:with @var{libressl}.  Then we use it to define a
> @dfn{variant} of the
> doc/guix.texi:@var{git} package that uses @var{libressl} instead of
> @var{openssl}.
>
> What am I missing ?
> Or maybe I'm very bad at info, always found its interface weird...

I'm not sure, I actually don't use `info` very much either. Maybe your
GuixSD installation has not been updated since the relevant text was
added to the manual?

> >> So how do I make that doc so that I can read the "installation
> >> instructions" which will tell me how to make the doc...
> >
> > ... from a checkout of our Git repo, you can do:
> >
> > `guix environment guix -- make doc/guix.info`

> nothing to commit, working directory clean
> $ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in
> build-aux "."/build-aux

Sorry, I forgot the first step, `./bootstrap`, which is mentioned here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Building-from-Git.html#Building-from-Git