Re: GuixSD and TRAMP

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: GuixSD and TRAMP
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:24:59 -0400

On 10/21/2016 at 15:27 Alex Kost writes:

> Ludovic Courtès (2016-10-20 23:00 +0200) wrote:
>
>> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> Ho-ho, it turns out the snippet Ludo pasted me on IRC was the answer
>>> after all:
>>>
>>>   ;; Make sure we work on remote guixsd machines :)
>>>   ;; probably only helps if you start on a guixsd machine..!
>>>   (setq tramp-remote-path
>>>         (append tramp-remote-path
>>>                 '(tramp-own-remote-path)))
>
> I also add 'tramp-own-remote-path' to tramp-remote-path in my emacs
> config; as well as Ricardo and David.
>
>> Good to know!
>>
>> Should we patch Emacs or something so that it works by default?
>
> Just to mention, a year ago David and I (and probably Ricardo) also
> agreed that it would be good to patch our Emacs for this.  It's just
> that no one have sent such a patch since then :-)
>
> The conversation was happening from
> <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2015-10-24#T788306> to
> <https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2015-10-24#T788410>

In the interest of stating problems next to the fix, this fixes the
error message ...

"Couldn't find a proper `ls' command"

... when tramping _in_ to GuixSD from another GuixSD machine.

Does it work when connecting from Guix on a Foreign distro?

Regarding the comment ";; probably only helps if you start on a guixsd
machine..!", I find that, if I apply this code after the initial attempt
to tramp in from a foreign distro fails, it rescues the tramp session.

So I wonder, can this be conditioned to run later in the tramp "scheme
of things" in order to provide a generic fix for tramping into GuixSD
from any distro?