Re: Seeking working, complete example for a vm

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Seeking working, complete example for a vm
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 01:49:03 +0200

Hello!

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 06:52:25PM +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
>> Am 28.10.2016 um 18:27 schrieb Leo Famulari:
>> > Can you clarify if you are trying to use a container or a VM?
>> Sorry for the confusion: I'm trying to set up a vm.
>>
>> (I tried container first, but davexunit informed me that networking is
>> not yet implemented there, so I switched to vm.)
>
> `guix system vm` creates an immutable system that shares the host's
> store. The annoying LSH host key issue will be the first problem if you
> want to write to the filesystem. Since it lives in the store, you can't
> mutate it. I think that parts of the filesystem are mutable RAM-backed
> partitions.

The host key of lshd lives in /etc, not in the store (it would be a
security problem because the store is world-readable).

The “annoying” thing when using the lsh service is that it wants you to
type so that it can seed its PRNG.  Now, you can use OpenSSH or Dropbear
to sidestep that.

The image returned by ‘guix system vm’ has a writable RAM-backed root
file system.  It has a read-only store though, meaning you cannot
perform Guix operations in it.

Ludo’.