Re: Seeking working, complete example for a vm

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Seeking working, complete example for a vm
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 01:57:15 +0200

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

> 1) lsh wants keystrokes a random-seed on each boot. This looks like
> file-system will not be preserved over reboots. How can I solve this?

Use OpenSSH.  ;-)  The root file system is indeed volatile.

> 2) Using "guix system reconfigure" *within* the vm would be great. But
> where do I find the system declaration within the vm? Or is it
> preferable to share my working directory?

The OS declaration is not in the VM, unless you share it with --expose
or --share.

> 3) How can I *easiest* setup networking, either bridged or "NAT" (how
> virtualbox names it). Since this

Networking works out of the box in the VM.

If you want the VM to be reachable from the outside, the easiest
solution is port forwarding:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-09/msg01857.html

> 4) Can I specify this in the system declaration? Or is there some other
> way to declare the vm, including all the parameters to be passed to
> qemu? If not, this is not much of a problem, as another bash-script
> would do the job.

The OS declarations only describes the OS in the VM, not the QEMU
parameters.

> 9) Minor glitch: How can I turn of the colour in ls using the system
> declaration?

Just “unalias ls” (the alias comes from the default ~/.bashrc).

> [1] On the host, /dev/kvm needs to have group kvm and g+rx and
> guixbuild..-users need to be members of this group, This is written in
> the manual, but not emphasised.

Maybe we could move the note in
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html>
higher, in the description of the ‘vm’ sub-command?

HTH!

Ludo’.