Webservices and Shepherd

From: Thomas Sigurdsen
Subject: Webservices and Shepherd
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 11:44:26 +0200

Hi Guix!

I'm sending two threads with the same intro, read below the line for the
questions.

I've been playing around with guixsd on my day-to-day work laptop for a month
or so now and have to say I'm thoroughly happy about how everything is put
together and mostly _just works_.

I'll note that I'm still very much learning guile and scheme. But the manual
(https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/) is amazing.

I will, over the coming week or so, begin setting up a server (for web pages,
file sharing and hopefully email).

Webservices: Is it preferred to put their "program files" in package
definitions and telling shepherd how to run them in services?

Are there any examples of a guixsd server config with multiple web services
out there?

And when it comes to shepherd: I've seen a few configs where shepherd is
running as a user in addition to root. It looks like this is a good way to
separate webservices and similar, maybe even giving them separate users. But
does it mean shepherd is running multiple instances, increasing overhead and
difficulty of management (as in how do I know which shepherd I'm talking to
and so on)?

My entire configuration with homemade modules can be found at:
https://notabug.org/thomassgn/guixsd-configuration