Re: First installation - Questions

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: First installation - Questions
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 00:45:49 +0530

Sohom Bhattacharjee writes:

> 5. When i do a `guix size <package>` the sizes are generally huge (1.3Gb
> for icecat in my system). Why is it so ?

`guix size <package>' reports the size of the entire dependency tree,
not just the one package you specify. Notice that `guix size <package1>'
and `guix size <package2>' add up to more than `guix size <package1>
<package2>'. This is because <package1> and <package2> share parts of
their dependency trees.

> 6. Is there a list of which packages are available as rebuilt
> "substitutes" ( is this correct ?? ) and which ones need to be built
> locally ?

Perhaps, this thread is what you're looking for?

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00253.html