btrfs and subvolumes for root

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: btrfs and subvolumes for root
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 20:46:13 -0700

Hello Guix,

I'm testing out setting up a dual boot between GuixSD and Arch. I've no idea how much each one will take on disk. I decided to try out btrfs and subvolumes for the layout.

But I'm having some issues booting the thing.

My disk layout right now is:
sda
  sda1      1MB BIOS boot
  sda2      4G  swap
  sda3 228.9GB  btrfs

then subvolumes:
sda3/
  __current/guixsd-root
  __current/arch-root
  __current/boot
  __current/home

section from my config.scm, which is based on my old config (old one is attached).

(file-systems (cons* (file-system
   (device "root")
   (title 'label)
   (mount-point "/boot")
   (options "defaults,discard,compress=lzo,space_cache,autodefrag,subvol=__current/boot")
   (dependecies mapped-devices))
;; repeat for guixsd-root and home but with correct value for subvol
)

guix system init worked fine but when booting it fails to locate the bzImage. Which I assume is because it doesn't know that the root is in a subvolume.

Long story short. How do I add rootflags to GuixSD's grub menu entry? Need to add "rootflags=subvol=__current/guixsd-root" to the linux-arguments. Might be an issue of having boot as a subvolume as well.

Thanks

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g