Re: What is Guix garbage collector root aka gc root

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: What is Guix garbage collector root aka gc root
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 12:15:48 +0300

Hello Leo and Ricardo,

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

…

> You can see the GC root symlinks in /var/guix/gcroots. You can make a
> new GC root manually by adding a symlink to the store item you want to
> preserve. For example:
>
> $ ln --symbolic $(guix build hello) /var/guix/gcroots/my-hello

Just for the record and other readers.

If I create “GC root” with “guix build --root=$HOME/PACKAGE PACKAGE”, I
will have two symbolic links

$HOME/PACKAGE -> /gnu/store/…-PACKAGE
/var/guix/gcroots/auto/HASH -> $HOME/PACKAGE

To remove this package in next garbage collector invocation just remove
“$HOME/PACKAGE” symbolic link.  First invocation of GC like “guix gc
--list-live” will remove “/var/guix/gcroots/auto/HASH” symbolic link.

Thank you Leo and Ricardo!

--
Best regards,

Oleg.