Re: help for guix pull

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: help for guix pull
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:36:57 -0400

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:54:10AM +0200, Adrien Marin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've some trouble with guix pull use:
>
> i have cloned a guix repo to had my package in gnu/packages in order to have
> them in 'guix package - A' list.
>
> before guix 0.13, I used guix pull like this :
>
> > guix pull
> > --url="http://gitlab.com/my-acount/my-repo/repository/archive.tar.gz?ref=master";
> >

> but know it doesn't work anymore.. guix pull do not use tarball anymore
>
> you can see at this commit :
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guix.git;a=commit;h=59a16275189f55ddd692b0ea5b415c706fa1fd69
>

> The use of guix pull change but it doesn't change in the manual...

The manual does document the new options, but the copy of the manual on
our webpage corresponds to the 0.13.0 release of Guix, so it doesn't
include the changes.

For any user that has the guix package installed (on a foreign distro,
that's root), you should be able to access the corresponding copy of the
manual with `info guix`.

I've copied the new documentation below:

------
The guix pull command is usually invoked with no arguments, but it supports the
following options:

--verbose

    Produce verbose output, writing build logs to the standard error output.
--url=url

    Download Guix from the Git repository at url.

    By default, the source is taken from its canonical Git repository at
gnu.org, for the stable branch of Guix.
--commit=commit

    Deploy commit, a valid Git commit ID represented as a hexadecimal string.
--branch=branch

    Deploy the tip of branch, the name of a Git branch available on the
repository at url.
--bootstrap

    Use the bootstrap Guile to build the latest Guix. This option is only
useful to Guix developers.
------

So, you can adjust your command like this:

$ guix pull --url=http://gitlab.com/my-acount/my-repo.git

That is, use the URL you'd use for `git clone`.