successful installation, but problems updating

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: successful installation, but problems updating
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 09:16:56 +0100

Hello,

I installed GuixSD 0.13.0 with success!  But I still have a couple
of issues and questions concerning updating the system and installing
packages.  I followed the [installation guide][1].

[1]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Proceeding-with-the-Installation.html

'guix pull' ends with a compilation error:

> guix pull: error: build failed: build of
> `/gnu/store/*-guix-latest.drv' failed

After this I should execute this command.

> $ guix system reconfigure
> guix system: error: wrong number of arguments for action 'reconfigure'

I expected this not to work properly anyway because 'guix pull' did not
succeed, but this seems like a syntax error that would have come up
also after a correct 'guix pull' (except, of course, if 'guix pull'
would provide files that account for the right number of arguments —
but I don't understand Guix well enough to make any good presumptions
about it).

Finally, have two more general questions (possibly related) about
Guix.

Firstly, it often says that I need to use '--fallback'.  Is that
because the binary is not available?

Secondly, I noted that with, e.g., 'guix package -i kodi' software gets
compiled.  I understood that GNU Guix is capable of both binary and
source packages.  Which should I typically expect?  Can I choose?

I attached my 'config.scm' (sadly, the paste.lisp.org service has just
been disabled).  This is what I understand as the single most important
configuration file of any GuixSD installation.

-Marco