Re: successful installation, but problems updating

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: successful installation, but problems updating
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 11:35:39 -0500

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 08:26:12AM +0100, Marco van Hulten wrote:
> address@hidden ~$ time guix pull --cores=1

[...]

> compiling...   75.4% of 647 filesbuilding of
> `/gnu/store/gk5chb0dwpsq3na7b4gn1hd7h0h2b63h-guix-latest.drv' timed out after
> 3600 seconds of silence

[...]

> real  609m30.245s
> user  0m3.125s
> sys   0m0.875s

This is terrible, but you can work around it by passing a large value to
the --max-silent-time "common build option":

--max-silent-time=seconds

    When the build or substitution process remains silent for more than
seconds, terminate it and report a build failure.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Common-Build-Options.html

Out of curiosity, what kind of machine are you using? A full hour with
no output at all indicates that something is happening very slowly! Is
it swapping?

> - it took over 10 h to give me back control, whereas this used to be
>   a bit over 2 h in previous tries;

Do you mean that the computer becomes unresponsive?

> What is Guix doing between 75.2 and 75.4 %?

I don't know exactly, but during `guix pull` Guix is built from source
with the Guile compiler.

There are some bugs in the current version of the Guile compiler that
cause it to require way more memory than expected. This is terrible on
memory-constrained systems because it forces the use of swap, which is
typically super slow. Hopefully we can deploy a fix soon.