Failure to ,expand use-package-module

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Failure to ,expand use-package-module
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:01:22 -0800

Hi Guix,

At the Guile REPL, why does macro expansion of a use-package-modules
invocation fail when the package in question doesn't exist, but it
succeeds when the package exists?

Here's an example:

scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (gnu)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,expand (use-package-modules foo)
While executing meta-command:
ERROR: no code for module (gnu packages foo)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,expand (use-package-modules base)
$1 = (begin
  ((@@ (guile) process-use-modules)
   ((@@ (guile) list) '((gnu packages base))))
  (if #f #f))

Since ,expand is supposed to expand macros in a form, I did not expect
the existence or non-existence of the package to matter.  There's a gap
in my understanding here, and I'm hoping you can help to fill it.

--
Chris