Re: common software

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: common software
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:14:14 +0100

Dear,

I am not using GuixSD, just trying to do some "hello world".
I agree that it is disturbing to not find "classical" tools and to not
feel at home.
But it is because the paradigm is different. And yeah! it is hard to
change of paradigm. :-)
With classical distro, you always need root privileges to
install/remove stuffs. With Guix, you need them only once at install
time.

Why not provide different default flavoured profiles ?
Say, desktop, www, ssh-server, etc. As Debian-installer proposes.

This provides an entry point to learn by examples how to manage
profiles, create ones, etc.
And this allows newcomer as me to be directly reward, lowing the
entrance barrier of a new system.

What do you think ?

All the best,
simon