Re: Best practices for Guix environment variables on foreign distro

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Best practices for Guix environment variables on foreign distro
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 07:48:49 +0100

On 12/03/2018 11:11, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

If my attempt is recommended against then how else should I enable Guix
on Emacs and interactive Bash shells while preventing it from disrupting
the foreign distro (e.g. programs spawned by GNOME)?  Or is this feared
disruption a non-issue in practice and I’m creating unnecessary
complication?

The suggestion is to source ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile from
~/.bash_profile (or similar).

That's what I am using in exactly the same setup (Guix on Ubuntu 16.04LTS) and it works fine. Sourcing ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile from $HOME/.profile, on the other hand, prevents logins to GNOME or Unity sessions.

Konrad.