Re: How to install prerelease package versions (particularly Emacs)

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: How to install prerelease package versions (particularly Emacs)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 05:13:54 +0100

Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Jorge,
>
> "Jorge" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would prefer to get Emacs 26 from Guix, which would be more
>> automatic and would come configured to work with Guix-installed Emacs
>> packages.
>
> Guix package collection provides only stable package releases for the
> most part.

There is no reason why we cannot also provide cutting-edge versions.
We do this already for some packages.  For example, see any of the
following packages:

  guix package --search=. | recsel -e 'name ~ "-(git|next|dev|devel|cvs|svn)$"'

Generally, it seems the trend is that we provide such development
versions as separate packages.

--
Chris