Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 11:44:00 +0530

> "The trouble with firmware" by Jake Edge, January 5, 2011
> https://lwn.net/Articles/421680/

Interesting article.  I share similar views and I believe that making
proprietary code hard to proliferate is laudable.  See the GPL license.
I'm not completely convince how Linux-libre would work towards that end
though.

That said, I'm now stuck with an iwlwifi card and I have to live with
that much backward practices.

> As Ludo mentioned elsewhere, using a dongle is one good option.  What
> prevents you from using a dongle?

A nit, really, but I have an rather extreme life-style that pushes me to
travel as lightweight as possible.  A dongle is not much for sure, but
if I can I'd rather avoid it.

The other issue is that when I initially wrote this e-mail I could not
buy one and could not even order online.  Not a problem anymore for now.

Being even more picky, dongles have drawbacks:
- They occupy a USB port (I have only 2).
- They stick out... :p

> https://minifree.org/

Thanks for the link, I did not know about it.  Very nice initiative.

I am now running the ultra-thin laptop Xiaomi Air 13, which, beside the
non-free iwlwifi card, is an excellent piece of hardware in my opinion.
Way ahead of the offers on minifree.  I wish there would be something
similar and a 100% free.  Anyone aware of such a machine?

--
Pierre Neidhardt