Re: HPC: switch to shared Guix from “guix pull”

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: HPC: switch to shared Guix from “guix pull”
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 23:42:44 +0100

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> For historical reasons, Guix here is configured with
> localstatedir=/gnu/var instead of just /var.  “guix pull”, however,
> provides a Guix that is configured with “localstatedir=/var”.

With ‘guix pull’, you’ll get a (guix config) that respects your current
settings (see ‘%config-variables’ in (guix self)).  However, it’s true
that ‘guix pull’ will give you ‘guix-daemon’ with hard-coded settings,
in particular localstatedir=/var.

Perhaps what we could do is replace ‘guix-daemon’ in (gnu packages
package-management) with a procedure that takes those config variables
as parameters and passes them as #:configure-flags.  That way, the
daemon that ‘guix pull’ provides would honor your current settings.

Alternately, you could create some bind-mounts or symlinks?  :-)

HTH,
Ludo’.