Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix on Android, getaddrinfo, failure in name resolution
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 16:30:07 +0100

Le 2019-01-15 15:39, 白い熊 a écrit :
Hi Guix:

I have Guix armhf set up on my Android phone — I've been experimenting
with it for some time. It works/used to work quite well, though
there's some hoops to jump through, setting up some skeleton GNU files
that the Bionic based Android C library doesn't use. Most of the setup
along the lines of:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/guix-on-android/

Now, I had it all setup on my Android Nougat phone — now I've upgraded
to an Android Oreo based phone, and usually the new version of the OS
entails some complications, which indeed it brought. Now it seems Guix
(just Guix though for some reason, even the command line utilities in
the terminal are fine) can't resolve domain names — I'm not advanced
enough to debug this though I think it's gonna be something simple,
like copying some /etc file which is also missing, but so far no luck.
I'm hoping someone might help me debug and solve this.

I have Guix 0.16.0 set up.

The symptoms: when I run “guix pull”, I get:

substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute:
updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute:
updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute:
updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.isubstitute:
updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
building /gnu/store/ni3kiwxslmzk1v5i3hamv3gdrckv843r-isrgrootx1.pem.drv...

Starting download of /gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem
From https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution

Starting download of /gnu/store/1drx7dy1zakc0xs60nb0im1jbvxp11dj-isrgrootx1.pem
From
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/file/isrgrootx1.pem/sha256/0zhd1ps7sz4w1x52xk3v7ng6d0rcyi7y7rcrplwkmilnq5hzjv1y...
In procedure getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution

and so on and on and it fails on many of this.

Now, the only references to this getaddrinfo with respect to Guix that
I've seen are:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00460.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00348.html

… and they don't give me any pointers.

But I ping and nslookup for instance letsencrypt.org from the same
terminal instance so name translation is working. So what is the
issue.

I've read around, had two missed wagers — thought it might be
/etc/nsswitch.conf missing, so copied it — didn't have an effect.

Then experimented with nscd, which exists in /gnu/store, created it's
socket directory, ran the daemon, then tried “guix pull” — no
difference, so it's not trying to go through it.

I realize this is not a Guix problem, it's due to something on the
Android side — but I had it running no prob on the older phone, so
know it can be done — I just can accomplish it.

I'd appreciate help from any more senior users or hackers with ideas
on what could be causing this fail and how to get it working.

Well, if it's a name resolution issue, the first culprit that comes to
mind is /etc/resolv.conf. Do you have that file, and is it correctly
configured?

One thing I'm thinking — it might be permissions issues on something,
as after upgrade, installing the terminal app on Android, the regular
user has a different ID, so I was thinking permissions somewhere… But
even as root I have the same issue, so shouldn't be that…

Maybe it's an selinux thing? You can try with "setenforce 0" and see if
that solves the issue. I've had some troubles with selinux too, related
to file-system permissions though.

If anyone could advise me — I'd much appreciate it :@)

Many thanks.
--