Re: List of installed package, version pairs

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: List of installed package, version pairs
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:27:40 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019, Gábor Boskovits wrote:

Hello Jack,
you could also try to make sense of the individual profile generation
manifests.

The union of those should give a farily comprehensive list, and it comes with
versions.

Yes, this looks pretty good, thanks. I think that this gets me all the surface packages exposed in all the profiles. However, I believe that it is still missing the packages installed as dependencies.

One thought is to drop back to manipulating store objects. I can get a list of references using query-path-info from the guix store module, and recurse down those references to build the graph. In the end I have to then guess the package names and versions from the store paths.

From my experimentation, it seems that store paths/objects are really what
Guix works with and is aware of, and not package names and version that are reported as what's installed on traditional distributions. Perhaps I can convince our security office to be happy with store paths.

Thoughts?
Jack