Re: List of installed package, version pairs

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: List of installed package, version pairs
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 12:17:19 +0100

Hi Jack,

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2019, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
>

>> Hello Jack,
>> you could also try to make sense of the individual profile generation
>> manifests.
>>
>> The union of those should give a farily comprehensive list, and it comes
>> with versions.
>
> Yes, this looks pretty good, thanks. I think that this gets me all the
> surface packages exposed in all the profiles. However, I believe that
> it is still missing the packages installed as dependencies.

You can get those with “guix gc -R /gnu/store/…whatever”.  It will show
you all the store references that the store item has retained.  These
will be libraries and applications that the thing depends on at runtime.

(I’m curious to know if the security folks would also object to you
building packages from source without Guix.  Do they ask everyone with a
compiler to provide a list of dependencies?)

--
Ricardo