Re: "guix system vm" to libvirt XML domain

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: "guix system vm" to libvirt XML domain
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:21:38 +0100

Hi Gabor,

thanks for your interest

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> but now I've a problem with the /gnu/store mount in guest
>>
>> "9pnet_virtio: no channels available for device
>> TAGjoptajej2oynju6yvboauz7pl6uj"
>>
>> ...still missimg someting
>>
>> any hint please?
>>

> I have seen this once, and the virtio-pci kernel module was missing.

I had excluded this since starting the VM using the "guix system vm"
generated script succeeds, I expect the libvirt defined one to run alike

long story short: my domain XML definition was *wrong*, I defined the
/gnu/store filesystem

  <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
    <driver type='path' wrpolicy='immediate'/>
    <source dir='/gnu/store'/>
    <target dir='TAGjoptajej2oynju6yvboauz7pl6uj'/>
  </filesystem>

in the wrong part of the XML tree, namely outside

<devices>
[...]
</devices>

and virsh ignored it (no error, no warning) when I used that XML to
define the VM via "virsh ... define cointainer-minimal.xml" [1]

hint: always use virsh-xml-validate to check the file, since virsh does
not validate it before registering the definition (AFAIK "virsh define"
also hasn't a proper flag to do it)

this is the correct XML domain definition, now working:

hope this will help others!

happy hacking!
Giovanni

[...]

[1] /var/log/libvirt/qemu/container-minimal.log was helpful since the
command line used to start the VM lacked

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures