Real-world example for channels?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Real-world example for channels?
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 23:16:31 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking for some real-world examples for channels.

After reading
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Channels.html>
I'm confused:

  * AFAIU Section 3.7.1 shows an example for pulling *whole* guix from a
    different location. So this needs to be a complete guix-clone
    (optionally including my own package modules).
  * Section 3.7.2 describes how to add "a Git repository containing [my]
    own package modules".
      o What files or scm-packages is this git-repo expected to include?
        What's the file-layout? Is there a suggested naming-convention?
        How to #use-module these packages?
      o What happens if files conflict? Which repo will take precedence?

I suggest adding a short example to the manual. To avoid any conflict
with the warinign in sec. 3.7.2 this could be some "personal dotfiles"
package.

Side-note: IMHO 3.7.1 should not be the first section, since this is not
the case most user will want to use.

Thanks in advance for answering

--
Regards