Re: grub.cfg does not have luks module for encrypted root

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: grub.cfg does not have luks module for encrypted root
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 22:09:10 -0500 (EST)

I have solved my problem, and now have Grub working with an encrypted /. The config I had before had a gpt partitioned disk, with bios boot. I had an encrypted / and a separate, unencrypted /boot.

When I changed the configuration to not use a separate /boot filesystem, and put /boot on the encrypted root, Grub dutifully prompts me for a password, and is then able to boot the system normally.

Is it a bug that a separate /boot doesn't work? Is it worth mentioning in the manual that a separate /boot isn't needed?

As a side note: I had been expecting 'insmod luks' and 'cryptomount …' lines in the grub.cfg. They don't appear even with the working setup, but we are running grub-install with the GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK environment variable set. I couldn't find a mention of this variable in the Grub manual. What's going on here/how do all the pieces fit together?

Best,
Jack