help-hurd

Re: Network Configuration

From: Jonathan Hunt
Subject: Re: Network Configuration
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:42:46 +0800

On Monday 28 May 2001 13:57, you wrote:
> Jonathan Hunt <jhuntnz@users.sf.net> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Anyway, I got (through some disgraceful hacking) that PCMCIA stuff
> > to go under the GNU Mach kernel.
>
> Oh, cool!
>
> > But there are no network config tools that I can find under Hurd
> > such as ifconfig etc.  What am I meant to use to configure my
> > network? Am I way off?
>
> In Hurd, you configure your network interfaces by setting up the
> /hurd/pfinet translator.  This is also mentioned in the Easy Guide
> (http://www.pick.ucam.org/~mcv21/hurd.html).  You should do something
> like 'settrans -fg /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet --interface=eth0
> --address=<address for the interface> --netmask=<netmask> ....' (and
> --gateway=<gateway> if you've a gateway).
>
> Good luck!
>               moritz

Hi,

I tried that. When I tried to ping the gateway I got a:
ping: socket: protocol family not supported
Since I receive the same result whether I use eth0 or eth3 (which doesn't or
a least shouldn't exist) I'll have to assume that the PC Card hacks are not
working properly. Are there any tools already ported/written for hurd that I
could use to give a bit more info about my ethernet interfaces etc to help me
see what's wrong.

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan Hunt

--
Jonathan Hunt (The Real Jonathan Hunt) <jhuntnz@users.sf.net>
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."