help-hurd

Re: Trivial trivfs question

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Trivial trivfs question
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:18:35 +0200

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 04:38:55PM +0200, Wolfgang wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If my translator is able to provide an unlimited amount of data, what
> is the best value to write into `*amount' (in trivfs_S_io_readable())?
> An arbitrary high number?

This depends on how "fast" it can deliver the data.  The random device can
deliver an unlimited amount of data, but not without blocking after the
buffer is emptied and no entropy available anymore.

The meaning of "fast" is the same as for O_NONBLOCK.

If you can deliver an unlimited number of bytes without blocking, I think
the highest possible value that fits in mach_msg_type_number_t seems to be
appropriate.  (I hope applications can deal with that).

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de