help-hurd

Re: Hurd Projects

From: mike burrell
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:04:29 -0700

Marcus Brinkmann (Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de) said:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 09:00:21AM -0700, mike burrell wrote:
> > deniability".  unfortunately Hurd doesn't offer namespaces a la Plan9, as
> > that would make things easier.
>
> What is this namespace a la Plan9 feature?  Maybe we do have it in disguise
> or can easily provide it.  Our name space is the filesystem, and it turned
> out to be amazingly flexible so far.

namespaces are basically filesystems (or pieces of filesystems) that exist
on a per-process basis.  there's a paper on it (a little bit long) here:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/names.html

--
 /"\                                                 m i k e   b u r r e l l
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN                                mikpos@shaw.ca