help-libidn

Re: Suggestion for libidn website

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Suggestion for libidn website
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:48:44 +0200

"Alexander E. Patrakov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hello Alexander!

> 1) I think it would be a good idea to list software that uses libidn on
> the site: http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/ . For now, I know that
> cURL ( http://curl.haxx.se/ ) can be linked against libidn, and that
> this cURL can get the contents of http://Räksmörgås.josefßon.org/ .

That is a good idea.  I have added a list of applications that I'm
aware of under "Related implementations" now.  If you, or anyone else,
know about more applications, let me know and I'll add them.

> 2) I also know that new versions of glibc can utilize the libidn add-on
> package. The example of use of getaddrinfo() with AI_CANONNAME and
> AI_IDN supplied with libidn works. However, I don't know any other
> software that can utilize the libcidn.so library that is built from this
> add-on package. Could you please name a few programs that use it?

The libcidn.so library is essentially a stripped-down libidn.so.
Currently, it lack the tld functionality.  There is no additional
functionality in it, compared to libidn.so.

I don't know of any packages that can use it directly, and frankly I'm
not sure it is a good idea to ever use it outside of glibc.  The
purpose of libcidn.so is to be used internally by glibc, and any other
use is likely to be unsupported.  Glibc do not install any header
files for that library, so software packages might find it difficult
to use.

Thanks,
Simon