help-libidn

libidn compiled with VS2008 is treated like a virus

From: Florin Daneliuc
Subject: libidn compiled with VS2008 is treated like a virus
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:02:00 +0200

Hello all,

I’m working on a project that uses libidn through libcurl.

About 1 week ago Symantec’s Antivirus started to complain about the libidn.dll being a thread (Suspicious.Vundo.5). Looking deeper into this it seems that when compiled with VS2008, as it is on this project, libidn.dll somehow looks like a threat for Symantec. When compiled with VS2005 everything is just fine.

Our project used libidn 1.5 compiled with VS 2008, for reasons unknown to me at this moment (I’m quite new on this project). This is why we deploy VC 2008 runtime with the app.

Now, I could go and distribute VC 2005 runtime with the application, but, as we currently deploying VS 2008 runtime putting both seems a little fishy and replacing 2008 with 2005 would imply a greater testing effort which we cannot afford right now.

Until I get a response from Symantec on this one, did anyone hit into something similar or has any idea for 2008 fix/workaround?

Thanks,

florin

Florin Daneliuc
Senior Software Engineer