help-libidn

Re: libidn2 tr#46 support

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Subject: Re: libidn2 tr#46 support
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:25:03 +0100

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Evgeny Grin <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 08.11.2016 11:18, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Tim Ruehsen <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Simon, well known problem everywhere :-( Too less time and more and more
>>> projects needs attention... huge lack of developers as it seems.
>>
>> Right.  I am really looking for help with libidn and libidn2, so if
>> anyone reading this would like to step up: the sky is the limit :-)
>
> May be I can help.
> My idea was to create libidn3 which should be mostly backward-compatible
> with libidn (as most widespread version) and have minimal (or zero)
> external dependencies.
> And it must be portable to GNU/Linux, Free/Net/OpenBSD, Darwin, Solaris
> and W32.

What is it missing to have a backwards compatible libidn which
supports IDNA2008? As far as I understand idna_to_ascii_8z() can be
mapped to libunistring + idn2_lookup_u8 from libidn2. The
idna_to_ascii_4z/lz are also about combining libunistring with the
previous function. The idna_to_unicode_* do they require any mapping
at all? As far as I understand rfc3492 should apply on IDNA2008
encodings as well, and the reverse process should be identical, right?

regards,
Nikos