help-liquidwar6

[Help-liquidwar6] About map design & packaging

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: [Help-liquidwar6] About map design & packaging
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:45:02 +0100

Hi,

Kasper Hviid a écrit :
> 2006/11/8, Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
>> How easy? Well... it depends. My idea was: draw a red spot somewhere and
>> a red spot somewhere else, and the system finds out by itself that
>> there's a teleport in between. Basically red would be connected to red
>> wherever it is on the map. And we would use different colors for
>> different "tunnels". Yellow <-> yellow, green <-> green and so on. And
>> yes, that would be called "teleport.png". But there's not one single
>> line of code for that yet, the discussion is widely open. Ideas welcome.
>
> Sounds perfect! But when teleport.png is sized down, isn't there a
> change that one of the red pixels will disappear?
Yes, there's a chance that red pixels will disappear. The exact same
kind of chance that a "standard" narrow passage through a wall would
disappear. Scaling down levels doesn't always work perfectly, of course.

IMHO the right thing to do is: design, if you wish, your level to be
big, say 1024x768 or 1280x960. But... keep in mind it can be scaled down
to 400x300 for instance. In fact, the level should run "out of the box"
with the "factory settings" of the game (that is, currently, scaling
down everything to 400x300 if too big). But more resizing is the
responsability of he who decides to do it.

> Originally, I made the artwork in peace.png for a peace festival. So
> how usefull it is as a map is quite random! I'll look into it, it
> might be possible to find some kind of solution.
OK, I see.

> Good luck with the coding, then. I hope you'll make it in time! Level
> designers would also benefit from a rough executable to test their
> levels, but that got no deadline.
This appeals a little question: which OS are running the people on this
list? (the people most interested by LW6 at that time AFAIK ;) ). More
precisely, which GNU/Linux distribution suits you best? The idea is that
 I could prepare some "ready to go" RPM or DEB files, but I'd simply
like to know who's running what, in order to know 1) if it's worth
packaging stuff and 2) which package to prepare first. Note that the
first step will obviously be to package for GNU/Linux, while LW6 will
certainly be ported on several platforms (same as LW5...) my priority is
to get the game running, not to make an alpha version support
alternative OSes.

True effective cross-platform support will come later.

But maybe the answer could be: "we're happy with ./configure && make &&
make install, don't bother with packages" - I like that one 8-)

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>     __/\__ ___