help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Android port

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Android port
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 19:51:15 +0200

AFAIK nobody is working on such a port, I, for one, am not working on
it. I have very few knowledge on what is required to be ported on Androïd.

Basically, if it has some UNIX-ish/GNU-ish friendly environment, it
should be pretty straightforward. In the worst case you have to port SDL
and/or write a new graphical backend.

That raises a good question: is SDL ported to Android? If yes, then
there are good chances LW6 is portable too. If not, the odds may be
against your project, the idea being that SDL is so common and usefull
that I doubt no one ever thought "hey, I need that game on Android, only
it requires SDL, let's port it!". If no one ever ported SDL to Android
it certainly means there's a technical and/or legal (those are the
hardest) point to overcome.

LW6 is not "tied for life" with SDL, one could develop another graphical
backend to get rid of SDL, only, if a platform does not have what it
takes to support SDL, it very probably does not have what it takes to
support LW6.

BTW I was lately toying with my GP2X-Wiz, still considering porting LW6
to it, that is very possible and it's now a medium to low end portable
gaming device with an ARM processor, so there's no valuable reason for
not seeing LW6 on a phone, "some day in the future".

In case anyone is wondering, an iPhone port is something I cannot work,
there are some strong non-disclosure agreements (aka NDA) to download
the development kit, so clearly I won't work on that. Again, I don't
know for Android but AFAIK the platform is more "open".

Have a nice day,

Christian,

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__