Where should the tar'd file be installed?

From: Craig Wolf
Subject: Where should the tar'd file be installed?
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:24:22 -0600

  I am sorry for asking what may appear to be a stupid question, but I have to
have this server up by Monday COB.  I am new to Linux and have been teaching
myself over the last few weeks but this has me stumped.  I need "make" to get
DIG installed but I cannot get make to install.  I have downloaded the tar'd
and gzipped file "make-3.79.1.tar.gz".  I have uncompressed it into the file
structure that is under it but I am unable to figure out where to put the
directory/files to make "make" work.  Please help!  I am really starting to
enjoy Linux and am seeing many possibilities for it in this school district but
this one REALLY has me stumped.  Thanx for any and all help!!!  8<)

Craig Wolf
Desktop/Network Technician
Web Server Support
Support Services Center