Makefile Includes Remake ? / files .d dependencies

From: Peter Biechele
Subject: Makefile Includes Remake ? / files .d dependencies
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:55:38 +0100

Hello !

I have two problems, which I could not solve with the help of the manual
(although, I am pretty sure there is something in there, but i did not
understand).

(first of all: all my questions are about C programs)

1) I have used an implicit rule for producing %.d files from .c files like
described in the GNU Make manual. This works fine, but it ALWAYS produces .d
files, although I have changed only ONE c-file. Does it have to be this way,
or can I avoid producing all .d files ??
By the way I am using "vpath %d DEPENDDIR" and "vpath %c .......", so make is
able to find the .d files to check if they have to be remade.

2) I have split up the makefile into one main Makefile and 5 included
MAkefiles to seperate settings for paths, flags, etc. in seperate files. Now
I want to make sure, if someone changes ONE of the Makefiles, I want to
remake everything ! This means I would like to call "make realclean" and then
"make all", if one of the Makefiles have changed !! (This is because, if
someone changes a define I have to recompile everything).
Is there an easy solution ???

Thank you very much for any help !

Best Regards
Peter Biechele, Germany

Dr. Peter Biechele, E-Mail: address@hidden
beXtec GmbH, Kaiserstuhlstr. 3, 79312 Emmendingen
Tel.: +49 7641 920869 41, Fax: +49 7641 920869 49