Re: Using Korn shell

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Using Korn shell
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 17:36:57 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  amw> My question is this.  I am tryning to compare the age of two
  amw> files to see if I am going to copy it over to my release
  amw> directory or not.  If it is newer, then it gets copied over.  The
  amw> ideal tool to accomplish this would be to use the Korn shell test
  amw> f1 -nt f2.

It seems to me that the ideal tool to accomplish this would be make
itself; that's exactly the kind of test make was created for.

  amw> Doing you know how to prooerly invoke Korn shell within a
  amw> makefile so I can use that command.  If not, there something
  amw> similar that I could use?

You can set the SHELL make variable in your Makefile to be any program
you like, as long as it obeys Bourne shell invocation syntax--Korn shell
obviously qualifies.

See the GNU make manual for info on SHELL.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/