Difficulty in compiling OpenGL

From: Sagar Reddy
Subject: Difficulty in compiling OpenGL
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:18:41 -0700

hi,
I am new to the UNIX and LINUX world. I tried to compile a simple OPENGL

file called example1.c

#include <GL/gl.h>
#include <GL/glut.h>

void display(void)
{
/*  clear all pixels  */
    glClear (GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);

/*  draw white polygon (rectangle) with corners at
 *  (0.25, 0.25, 0.0) and (0.75, 0.75, 0.0)
 */
    glColor3f (1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
    glBegin(GL_POLYGON);
        glVertex3f (0.25, 0.25, 0.0);
        glVertex3f (0.75, 0.25, 0.0);
        glVertex3f (0.75, 0.75, 0.0);
        glVertex3f (0.25, 0.75, 0.0);
    glEnd();

/*  don't wait!
 *  start processing buffered OpenGL routines
 */
    glFlush ();
}

void init (void)
{
/*  select clearing (background) color       */
    glClearColor (0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

/*  initialize viewing values  */
    glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
    glLoadIdentity();
    glOrtho(0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, -1.0, 1.0);
}

/*
 *  Declare initial window size, position, and display mode
 *  (single buffer and RGBA).  Open window with "hello"
 *  in its title bar.  Call initialization routines.
 *  Register callback function to display graphics.
 *  Enter main loop and process events.
 */
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    glutInit(&argc, argv);
    //glutInitDisplayMode (GLUT_SINGLE | GLUT_RGB);
    glutInitWindowSize (250, 250);
    glutInitWindowPosition (100, 100);
    glutCreateWindow ("hello");
    init ();
    glutDisplayFunc(display);
    glutMainLoop();
    return 0;   /* ISO C requires main to return int. */
}

on an IRIX SGI machine.
can anybody tell me the command line compile option or send me a sample
Makefile

the errors I get are
address@hidden:GTK/APPLICATIONS/opengl_2 81> gcc -o example1 example1.c
-lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lX11
ld32: WARNING 84 : /usr/lib32/libGLU.so is not used for resolving any
symbol.
ld32: WARNING 84 : /usr/lib32/libGL.so is not used for resolving any
symbol.
ld32: WARNING 84 : /usr/lib32/libXmu.so is not used for resolving any
symbol.
ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "glutInit" -- 1st referenced
by /usr/tmp/cc9FQF5b.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "glutInitWindowSize" -- 1st
referenced by /usr/tmp/cc9FQF5b.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "glutInitWindowPosition" --
1st referenced by /usr/tmp/cc9FQF5b.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "glutCreateWindow" -- 1st
referenced by /usr/tmp/cc9FQF5b.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "glutDisplayFunc" -- 1st
referenced by /usr/tmp/cc9FQF5b.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "glutMainLoop" -- 1st
referenced by /usr/tmp/cc9FQF5b.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
dsos are loaded.
ld32: INFO    152: Output file removed because of error.
collect2: ld returned 2 exit status