Re: per-target VPATH

From: __alex__
Subject: Re: per-target VPATH
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:12:35 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
To: "__alex__" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: 12 декабря 2001 г. 17:55

> %% __alex__ <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   a> It seems that gmake doesn't take in account per-target VPATH
>   a> variable.
>
> Per-target variables are only available within the context of the
> command script.  So, they are not available to make when it's searching
> for prerequisites.
>
> See the GNU make manual, section "Target Specific Variable Values".

Actually I don't see anything stating that during implicit rule search only
global
VPATH is used. May be this should be explicitly reflected in the documentation
(I've checked VPATH/implicit rule search sections too)

>   a> Having working pattern-specific VPATH would be even better. I
>   a> wonder whether it's going to be implemented in future versions of
>   a> gmake.
>
> No, I have no plans to do this; the current behavior of target-specific
> variables, as above, is the planned behavior going forward.

I've had a quick look at the sources of make 3.79.1. In the 'file' struct
there's a
char* vpath variable which, afaict, is unused right now. Moreover, when finding
implicit rule per-target variable list is already available. If I ever make
patch to take
per-target VPATH in consideration when finding implicit rules, how big are
chances
that it gets to the future version of gmake?

Regards,
    Alex