Re: how to serialize rule evaluation

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: how to serialize rule evaluation
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:12:45 -0500

%% Kevin Nomura <address@hidden> writes:

  kn> Thanks for the quick response.  I had one other possible saving
  kn> measure: the manual states that if multiple goals are specified
  kn> on the command line they are evaluated from left to right in the
  kn> order specified.  Can this be used to serialize goal evaluation?

Well, goals will always be built serially in a well-defined order unless
you use parallel build (make -j N).

But to the best of my recollection, if you enable parallel builds even
targets listed on the command line are built in parallel (obeying the
prerequisite restrictions in the makefile of course).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/