Re: Command creates two targets

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Command creates two targets
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:26:26 -0400

%% "Bhatt, Milan C" <address@hidden> writes:

  bmc> In gmake v3.79.1 on HPUX 11.0, is there anyway to tell gmake that
  bmc> a certain command creates more than one target? The following
  bmc> simplified Makefile illustrates the problem

  bmc> -----------------------------------------------
  bmc> ALL_TARGETS := a.rpt b.rpt c.rpt

  bmc> .PHONY : all_targets
  bmc> all_targets : $(ALL_TARGETS)

  bmc> $(ALL_TARGETS) :
  bmc>  @ run_tool

In this case, where all your targets are related by a common suffix, you
can declare a pattern rule.  A pattern rule with multiple patterns in
the target area behaves as you would like; see the GNU make manual.

There is no way to do it directly for rules that must be written as
explicit rules.  You have to do something fake

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/