Re: -W does not work with vpath

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: -W does not work with vpath
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 03:10:09 -0400

%% Maciej Walezak <address@hidden> writes:

  mw> I was wondering why nobody answered my question. Is it something
  mw> wrong with the description? Hmm...  I really need this issue to be
  mw> clarified.

What clarification are you looking for, exactly?

You're right, it doesn't work.

It's not a feature, in that the docs don't specifically say that -W
doesn't work with VPATH-located filenames.

I'm not sure it's a bug, either, though, in that the behavior you're
looking for is not the result of incorrect code (the code makes no
attempt to handle this case), and the manual also doesn't say that -W
_does_ work with VPATH-located filenames.

If you want to request that GNU make be enhanced to allow this to work,
you can do so by submitting one at the GNU make project site on Savannah
<http://savannah.gnu.org/>.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/