Re: Pb with normal and implicit rules

From: Philippe HAUTION
Subject: Re: Pb with normal and implicit rules
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:45:59 +0200

The second possibility is exactly what happened to me.

I'll add a delete-trailing-blanks function to my makefile-mode hook in XEmacs.

Many thanks for your quick and accurate answers.

Regards,

Paul D. Smith wrote:

%% Philippe HAUTION <address@hidden> writes:

 ph> You're right, the result of your debugging line is :
 ph> ../objd/sources /%.o  ../objr/sources /%.o

 ph> so the value of the ssp variable does contain a space, but none of
 ph> the directory in my paths does ?!  What could be adding this space
 ph> at the end of sources ?

Two possibilities:

1) Your basename program is adding it to the output, which is pretty
   unlikely unless you have a very bizarre basename,

2) Or, more likely, you have left a trailing whitespace char on the ssp
   variable assignment:

ssp := $(shell ...) ^

   Remember that _trailing_ whitespace is _preserved_ during variable
   assignment (see the GNU make manual).  Personally I set my editor
   (Emacs) to automatically strip all trailing whitespace in makefiles.

--
Philippe Haution
EDF R&D