Re: Compiling Make for Open VMS 7.3

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Compiling Make for Open VMS 7.3
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:42:56 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  bb> Using the supplied makefile.com I am unable to compile make under
  bb> OpenVMS 7.3.  The error that aborts the compile is a C error
  bb> saying that listp is not declared.  Any advice?  I have a log file
  bb> of the compile if that would help.  Thanks for your time.

  bb>             if (listp)

Simply remove this line and the next line.  They are obsolete.

BTW, there's a pretest of the next version of GNU make available; it
would be great to get it tested on OpenVMS before it gets released, if
you feel so inclined (it would help avoid these kinds of stupid errors
in the next version :)).

Find it as either of:

  ftp://ftp.paulandlesley.org/pub/make-3.80rc1.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.paulandlesley.org/pub/make-3.80rc1.tar.bz2

I already have a couple of bug fixes for this version, but I think you
should be able to get it built and mostly running--the main thing to
check is that the build is still sane for VMS.

Thanks.