Re: Infinite dependency loop for build software

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Infinite dependency loop for build software
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:17:12 -0400

You should read the README file that comes with the source.

FYI:

 1) If you're trying to build the Cygwin version of GNU make, that's not
    quite the same version as distributed by the FSF (and discussed on
    this list).  You should contact Cygwin.

 2) If you want to build GNU make for Windows platforms, you'll find
    more help on the address@hidden list which is specifically for
    people running GNU make on Windows.

 3) Building GNU make for Windows platforms is typically _not_ done with
    configure.  Instead you should read the README.W32 (or README.DOS if
    you want a DOS version of GNU make) and follow those directions;
    they do not involve running configure.

 4) You don't need a "make" to build GNU make.  For UNIX after the
    configure step there will be a "build.sh" file you can run if you
    don't have "make".  See the INSTALL file.

    For Windows and DOS there are batch files IIRC; see the README
    files.

 5) The check for "setting MAKE ..." does not require that make set or
    not set that variable; it's just a standard check so that the
    configure script knows whether it needs to put "MAKE = make" in the
    output makefiles or not.