Re: Probably a v.small doubt

From: Karthikesh Raju
Subject: Re: Probably a v.small doubt
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:00:36 +0300

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> Then make invokes another shell for the next line and here, the variable
> TEXSYSTEM is not set to anything.
>
> The answer to your first question, then, is to combine the third and
> fourth lines so they're executed in the same shell:
>
>   -@(${EGREP} ... \
>         ... \
>         ... \
>         ... \
>     TEXSYSTEM=latex; \
>   $$TEXSYSTEM $<
>

> As you can see from the above, there's no way to "keep" the value of a
> variable set in the commands for one target for use in another target,
> because they are always done in different shells.

Thankx again. Actually combining the two was what i attempted first, but
then latex requires further preprocessing, but pdftex doesnt. Moreover i
want to remove some of the latex tags that i insert into a draft paper
(version info etc), for which it is essential to determine whether it is
slides or paper i am dealing with once and use it again later (Is
repeting that piece of code the only option).

Is there any way i can test this once and set a variable and then use the
corresponding processor for the file. (i guess this is dumb on my part,
there must be a way!)

Thankx in advance,

Best wishes
karthik