Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Communicating Variables to a Sub-make
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:11:46 -0400

Your problem has nothing to do with make, and everything to do with
rsh.  If you invoked the rsh from the command line after setting and
exporting the OTHER and BAR variables, you'd see exactly the same
behavior.

Rsh invokes a shell over the network, and the environment of the
original shell is _NOT_ passed to the new shell; see the rsh man page.