Re: interface to make?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: interface to make?
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:47:38 -0400

%% maman yonatan <address@hidden> writes:

  my> is there any mechanism for subscribing make events,
  my> like new rule was found, new variable was set, a
  my> pattern stem was matched etc. ?

  my> The only way I know about is running make with -p and
  my> -d and then parse the output.

  my> I wonder if there any possibility for getting this
  my> information by API,events, signals, or any other way.

I don't quite understand what you're asking.  To whom would make send
any events, signals, etc.?  There is no "make library" that could be
linked with another program, if that's what you're asking.

Also, note that make proceeds in two distinct steps: in the first step
it reads in all the makefiles and constructs an internal graph of all
the dependency relationships, etc.  In the second step it walks the
graph and actually invokes the rules.  So, your events such as setting a
variable and "finding" a new rule, which would happen in the first step,
are very different from matching a pattern, which would happen in the
second step.